As of this writing, john and I are watching Superman - Man of Steel. Superman says in the movie that the symbol S stands for hope and Lois replied, "here on earth it just means S.
Now it's that time of year when S means summer and summer means fun for my children. For me, S means singkamas because it's that time of the year when singkamas (turnip) abound.
Turnips, belongs to the cruciferous family of vegetables, along with broccoli, kale and brussels sprouts. In the Philippines, the white bulbous roots is what we prefer to eat. In Europe, Asian and Eastern America, the sprouts and leaves are are used in cooking as these are also edible and highly nutritious.
Here are some of the benefits why I like eating singkamas:
1. Singkamas are low in calories and hence, can form part of an effective weight loss program. Their high fiber content on the other hand regulates metabolism, controls body weight and supports a healthy and active colon. One cup of raw turnip contains only 36 calories.
2. Singkamas aid in digestion by absorbing thus helps in reduction of cholesterol.
3. Singkamas are also excellent sources of folatelpse, which further helps to boost up the cardiovascular system.
4. Singkamas prevents cancer by fighting the effects of carcinogens and can inhibit the growth of tumor cells. Inclusion of this vegetable in your daily diet can reduce the risk of breast cancer as well as colon and rectal tumors.
5. Singkamas is an excellent source of calcium and mineral which inhibits joint damage, risk of osteoporosis.
6. Singkaman cures asthma because of its high content of vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant.
7. Body odor is a common problem, particularly in the summer months. Turnip juice is quite beneficial in getting rid of body odor.